An extremely rare, vivid purple-pink diamond mined in Russia is expected to fetch up to $38 million when it goes under the hammer on November 11, the auction house Sotheby’s said on Monday.
The oval gem, which is named after a Russian ballet ‘The Spirit of the Rose,’ is the largest of its kind to be offered at auction. The trend for colored stones has increased as an asset class by the super rich in recent years.
For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app
Mined by Russian diamond producer Alrosa, the 14.83-carat diamond was cut from the largest pink crystal ever found in Russia, Sotheby’s said.
“The occurrence of pink diamonds in nature is extremely rare in any size. Only one percent of all pink diamonds are larger than 10-carats,” said Gary Schuler, worldwide chairman of Sotheby’s jewellry division.
As India awaits Kohinoor return, here’s the diamond’s journey through dynasties
Naturally colored diamonds occur because they possess a particular lattice structure that refracts light to produce colored, rather than white, stones.
Pink diamonds are both rare and aesthetically highly prized by collectors, analysts say.
The gem is being shown in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taipei before being auctioned in Geneva on November 11.
- ‘New era of trade relations’: Dubai, Israel diamond exchanges sign agreement
- Rare, flawless 102-carat diamond could fetch up to $30 million at Sotheby’s auction
- Dubai invites the world’s diamond trade with message on iconic Burj Khalifa
- Coronavirus: Dubai Diamond Exchange reopens following lockdown
- India seizes $180 mln in jewels from fugitive diamond merchant held in London
- Over $1.8 million diamond stolen from Japan jewelry fair
- Botswana unveils rare 20-carat blue diamond
- $50 mln rare diamond snapped up by Lebanese origin business woman
- Dubai police capture couple who stole 3.27-carat diamond by swallowing it
- India’s diamond industry fast losing luster as woes mount
- As India awaits Kohinoor return, here’s the diamond’s journey through dynasties