A senior U.S. official said Friday that Russia is being urged to push the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to participate more actively in the Geneva talks aimed at ending the country’s civil war.
U.S. Under-Secretary of State Wendy Sherman told Al Arabiya News Channel’s senior correspondent Rima Maktabi that the Syrian regime needs to take the negotiations more “seriously,” like the opposition.
- 2000GMT: U.S., Russia meeting fails to strike deal on Syria
- Russia needs to press Syria on peace talks, says senior U.S. official
- Russia, U.S. meet to breathe life into Syria talks
- Russia’s U.N. draft on Syria aid omits sanctions
- 2000GMT: Russia says Iran essential for securing peace in Syria
- Syria gives Russia ceasefire plan for Aleppo
- Direct Syria talks to last 7-10 days: Russia