Saudi Arabia's public prosecutor has begun investigations and opening arguments in the corruption cases of princes, top officials and businessmen who were detained late last year, an official told pan-Arab newspaper Asharq al-Awsat on Sunday.
Saud al-Hamad, deputy attorney general for investigations, told the paper that whoever is charged will be referred to court for prosecution in cases related to money laundering or terrorism.
Hamad said some of those under investigation had failed to respect confidential agreements while others committed further, unspecified, offences.
Authorities rounded up dozens of corruption suspects in November on Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s orders, with many confined and interrogated.
Most of them were released after being exonerated or reaching financial settlements with the government.
But 56 people who had not reached settlements remained in custody and could face trial, the government said late in January.