Yemeni forces seize city from Al-Qaeda
Yemeni forces backed by Apache helicopters from a Saudi-led coalition wrested the city of Houta from Al-Qaeda after a gun battle
Yemeni forces backed by Apache helicopters from a Saudi-led coalition wrested the city of Houta from Al-Qaeda militants after a gun battle on Friday morning, a local military official said.
Hours later, a car bomb detonated outside the foreign ministry building in the southern Yemeni city of Aden, causing no casualties, another local official said.
The recapture of Houta, regional capital of southern Lahj province which has been held by the militants since last summer, is one of the embattled Yemeni government’s most important inroads yet against Al-Qaeda forces who have taken advantage of more than a year of war to seize territory.
Government troops began their attack at daybreak and succeeded after several hours of air strikes and heavy combat, the military official told Reuters.
“The campaign to control Houta has been completed and it has been cleansed of Al-Qaeda and extremist elements,” he said. Several people were killed and injured on both sides and 48 militants were captured, he added.
Saudi Arabia and its mostly Gulf Arab allies entered Yemen’s civil war on March 26 last year in support of Yemen’s internationally recognized government after it had been pushed into exile by the Iran-allied Houthi group.
Amid impoverished Yemen’s security chaos, Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) seized the port city of Mukalla and extended its area of control and influence about 600 km (370 miles) along Yemen’s southern coast toward the government seat at Aden.
Forces loyal to President Abdu-Rabbu Mansour Hadi have been repeatedly attacked by Al-Qaeda and ISIS militants as the embattled administration struggles to secure Aden and the southern provinces where the fighters thrive.
A Reuters investigation this month revealed that the group earns up to $2 million every day by taxing imports of basic goods and fuel.
Until the attack on Houta, AQAP has suffered few territorial losses despite a stepped-up American campaign of air strikes and drone attacks on its bases.
In a related story, Houthis and their allied militia forces belonging to deposed former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh have continued their violations of a truce announced five days ago, Al Arabiya News Channel reported Friday.
The truce will pave the way for UN-sponsored peace talks in Kuwait on April 18.
Violent clashes took place west of Taiz, specifically in the area around the government’s Brigade 35 that the militias are trying to control.
Downpour kills over 40 in Yemen, Saudi ArabiaSevere downpours have struck Saudi Arabia this week, including in the capital Riyadh where schools were forced to close Middle East
1800GMT: More violations of Yemen truceNews Bulletins
Militias kill 13 Yemen loyalists despite ceasefireThe militias attacked positions of Gulf-backed loyalist fighters in Nihm, northeast of Sanaa, where clashes have occurred for two weeks Middle East
Truce starts in Yemen, fighting reported in TaizA shaky truce took hold in Yemen on Monday under a U.N.-backed effort to end a war that has made the country a front in Saudi Arabia's region wide ... Reports
Dialogue paving the way for conflict resolution in YemenIf the conflict persists, it will only lead to further destruction and thousands of deaths... Middle East
Yemen’s ceasefire begins, FM warns of violationsIt is hoped that the new ceasefire will serve as the cornerstone of a long-lasting peace deal Middle East
Yemen: Between ending the conflict and a warrior’s breakThe coming week is poised to see significant shifts in the Yemeni, Libya, and Syria... Middle East
UN: Yemen ceasefire ‘largely holding’Yemen’s foreign minister expressed alarm after reported breaches minutes after a ceasefire went into effect in the country Middle East
Bomb attack hits Aden despite Yemen ceasefireHopes goes on for a long-lasting peace deal that can be hammered out at talks taking place from April 18 in Kuwait Middle East