Death toll in Baghdad bombing rises to 324
The attack that was claimed by ISIS was the deadliest bombing in Iraq since US-led forces toppled Saddam Hussein
The death toll from a suicide bombing in central Baghdad on July 3 has reached 324 and might climb further, Iraq's health minister said on Sunday.
The attack, claimed by the militant group ISIS whose fighters government forces are trying to eject from large parts of the north and west, was the deadliest bombing in Iraq since US-led forces toppled Saddam Hussein 13 years ago.
The toll could climb further as forensic teams are still working to identify bodies, the minister, Adela Hmoud, said.
ISIS has lost ground in Iraq since last year to US-backed government forces and Iranian-backed Shiite militias.
But the deadly July 3 bombing in a commercial street of the mainly Shiite Karrada district of central Baghdad showed it can still strike in the capital.
On July 7, the ministry put the toll at 292. But it has risen as more people, initially registered as missing, were identified as among the dead, Hmoud said.
ISIS-claimed Baghdad blast death toll surgesRefrigerator truck packed with explosives blew up in Baghdad’s central district of Karrada, killing 200 people Middle East
Retaking Iraq’s ISIS-held Mosul likely to prove tricky and costlyIraq’s government is setting its sight on Mosul, as its next major target in the fight against ISIS Features
ISIS attacks two energy plants in north IraqAt least five workers were killed after the attack. Kurdish peshmerga forces are searching nearby villages for the militants Middle East
Many ISIS leaders in Iraq’s Mosul fleeing to SyriaIraq is expected to mobilize up to 30,000 forces to retake the city in coordination with US-led coalition air support Middle East