Israel has denied having anything to do with the explosions that rocked Lebanon Tuesday, Reuters cited an Israeli official as saying.
“Israel has nothing to do with the incident,” the official said on condition of anonymity.
Separately, Israel’s Foreign Minister Gabi Ashkenazi told Israeli N12 television news that the explosion was most likely an accident caused by a fire.
For full story on the explosions, click here.
Israel on Tuesday offered humanitarian aid to Lebanon, with which it is still technically at war, following the huge explosions that rocked Beirut, killing dozens of people and wounding thousands.
Watch: “It’s a catastrophe! Catastrophe in Lebanon! Lebanon is in destruction! #Lebanon is gone, bye!” one survivor tells Al Arabiya after two explosions ripped through #Beirut’s port, killing at least 70 people so far.https://t.co/YscUTU6xYl pic.twitter.com/AaukD28148— Al Arabiya English (@AlArabiya_Eng) August 5, 2020
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had instructed his National Security Council to make contact with UN Middle East envoy Nickolay Mladenov "in order to clarify how Israel can further assist Lebanon."
Earlier, Defence Minister Benny Gantz and Foreign Minister Gabi Ashkenazi said Israel had "offered the Lebanese government -- via international intermediaries -- medical and humanitarian aid, as well as immediate emergency assistance".
- With inputs from Reuters and AFP.