.
.
.
.

US denies involvement in alleged attack on Iraq’s Baghdad: Embassy

Published: Updated:

The United States was not involved in the alleged attacks on the south of Baghdad in Iraq, a spokesperson for the US Embassy in Baghdad confirmed on Tuesday.

“We are seeing reports of potential explosions near Jurf as-Sakhr, south of Baghdad. We can confirm that no US personnel or assets were in the vicinity of Jurf as-Sakhr and that there was no US involvement in this alleged incident,” the spokesperson said.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The US Central Command also denied allegations that Washington had any involvement in the attack.

“Explosions reported earlier today about 40 miles outside of Baghdad, Iraq, in the town of Jurf Sakhar were not the result of US military action,” the US Central Command quoted Captain Bill Urban as saying.

Earlier on Tuesday, the official account of the security media cell of the Iraqi Prime Minister’s Office denied reports of airstrikes hitting Iraq’s Baghdad on Monday night, calling them “incorrect”.

The sound of explosions that were reportedly heard at the scene were the result of electrical towers that were hit by ISIS militants, the media cell said on Twitter on Tuesday.

Security officials began a search operation to arrest those responsible for the attack, according to the statement.

Several reports on Monday had suggested the explosions may have been US or Israeli airstrikes on Iran-backed militias.

Read more:

Airstrikes pound Iran-backed militias south of Iraq’s Baghdad: Reports

US troops in Afghanistan, Iraq cut to 2,500 each: Acting Defense Secretary