Syrian state television reported on Sunday that multiple explosions had been heard inside the US base in the al-Tanf region in eastern Homs, near the Iraqi border.
The report follows a drone attack on the base in October, which US officials said they believed Iran was responsible for.
There were no reported injuries or deaths as a result of the attack in October, which involved five explosive-laden drones that targeted both US forces and opposition fighters, officials said.
US and coalition troops are based at al-Tanf to train Syrian forces on patrols to counter ISIS militants. The base is also located on a road serving as a vital link for Iranian-backed forces from Tehran all the way to southern Lebanon and Israel.
The previous major Iranian attack on US forces was in January 2020, when Tehran launched a barrage of ballistic missiles on al-Asad air base in Iraq.
Syrian foreign minister arrives in Tehran for two-day visit: ReportSyria’s Foreign Minister Faisal Mekdad is due in Tehran on Sunday for a two-day visit, Iran’s semi-official ISNA news agency said.Read more: Two ... World News
Jordan inching towards pulling Syria back from the brinkThe US special envoy for Iran Robert Malley is doing a whirlwind tour of the Middle East visiting Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain and Israel.He is ... Opinion
US officials criticize efforts to normalize ties with Syria’s Assad“We are concerned by reports of this meeting and the signal it sends,” State Department Spokesman Ned Price told reporters. Middle East