Israel rejects Kerry Gaza ceasefire proposal, state TV says
Israeli media reported Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government demanded the army be allowed to continue destroying Palestinian tunnels
Israel on Friday rejected a Gaza ceasefire proposal presented by U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, Israeli public television said.
"The security cabinet has unanimously rejected the ceasefire proposal of Kerry, as it stands," Channel 1 said, adding ministers would keep discussing it.
Kerry met U.N. chief Ban Ki-moon and Egypt's foreign minister on Friday as pressure mounted for a ceasefire to end an 18-day conflict that has killed more than 800 Palestinians and 37 people on the Israeli side, 34 of them soldiers.
Israeli media reported Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's government demanded the army be allowed to continue destroying tunnels used by the Palestinian group Hamas to carry out attacks inside Israel.
Kerry's proposal reportedly involved an initial truce to be followed by negotiations on a final deal by delegations from all the parties.
Hamas, the main power in Gaza, previously rejected an initial ceasefire proposal, demanding a full settlement before it stopped shooting, but international mediation efforts have gathered pace in the past few days.
Kerry, who spent another night in Cairo reaching out by telephone to regional officials, met Ban and Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukri for around half an hour.
He later went into a one-on-one meeting with Ban, who has also been shuttling around the region.
Kerry had said he would speak to reporters late on Friday.
Kerry meets with U.N., Egypt as Gaza truce push buildsU.S. Secretary of State John Kerry met the U.N. Chief Ban Ki-moon and Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukri for around half an hour Middle East
Gaza death toll tops 700 amid peace pushJohn Kerry reported some progress in ceasefire talks, after flying from Israel to Cairo for more talks with Egyptian mediators Middle East
Saudi king orders $26 million more in medical aid to GazaThe order comes a week after King Abdullah ordered $53 million for Gaza Middle East