U.S. unveils 6-year-old report on NSA surveillance
The Office of the Director of National Intelligence publicly released the redacted report on Saturday
With a Bush-era surveillance law about to expire, the Obama administration is unveiling a 6-year-old report examining the once-secret program to collect information on Americans' calls and emails.
The Office of the Director of National Intelligence publicly released the redacted report on Saturday. The release follows a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit by the New York Times.
President George W. Bush authorized the program code-named Stellarwind in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. The basics of the National Security Agency program had already been declassified. But the lengthy report includes some new details about the secrecy surrounding it.
The report says the program would have been more useful if it weren't so highly classified, since many FBI agents and CIA analysts were unaware it existed.
U.S., British spies hacked mobile SIM card keys: reportThe Intercept said a covert operation led by GCHQ with support from the NSA was able to mine private communications of unwitting engineers at Gemalto Digital
NSA chief says agency complies with ‘law’ after spyware reportsRogers was responding to reports that the NSA had embedded spyware on computer hard drives Digital
SIM maker Gemalto confirms possible spy attacksThe website made the allegations on the theft of the keys based on a document leaked by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden Digital
Kerry to Snowden: ‘Man up’ and come homeThe former NSA contract systems analyst is living in Russia on a temporary grant of asylum World News