Saudi authorities arrest 33 suspects over terror attack
Saudi interior ministry arrested 33 militants suspected of links to Al-Ahsa governorate attack
Security forces have arrested 33 Saudi terror suspects related to the terrorist operation in Al-Ahsa governorate in which five people were killed and nine others were injured, security spokesman of the Ministry of Interior Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki said.
In a statement to Saudi Gazette, Maj. Gen. Al-Turki said the security efforts during the past five days after Al-Dalwah attack have resulted in the arrest of 33 people.
He said the security authorities are continuing investigations.
Maj. Gen. Al-Turki said security operations covered 10 cities including Al-Ahsa, Al-Khobar, Dammam, Riyadh, Shaqra, Buraidah, Al-Badayea, Hail, Ar’ar and Al-Jouf.
Officers rounded up 15 suspects in several cities after the initial shooting.
Three suspected militants and two security officers were killed in Buraidah on Tuesday in a gunbattle linked to an investigation into the earlier shooting in the east of the Kingdom.
A total of 15 militants were arrested from six cities after three gunmen killed five people and injured nine others in an attack in Al-Dalwah village in Al-Ahsa governorate in the Eastern Province last week.
The leader of the cell whose members were involved in the Al-Ahsa killings is a Saudi citizen who was fighting in Iraq and Syria and sneaked through the Saudi borders, according to security sources. He formed a terrorist cell and targeted citizens in Al-Ahsa.