Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis claim deadly Sinai attack
Group promises further attacks against security forces and said it was speaking directly to Sisi
Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis, Egypt’s deadliest militant group which has pledged allegiance to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), claimed responsibility for a suicide attack last month that killed 30 soldiers, according to AFP.
The group, which has spearheaded an insurgency in Egypt’s restive Sinai Peninsula, made the claim in a video posted on social media, the agency said.
The group has killed scores of policemen and soldiers since the army overthrew president Mohammad Mursi last year, but the Oct. 24 attack in which a militant rammed a military checkpoint in northern Sinai with an explosives-packed car was the deadliest such incident in years.
It said it was acting in retaliation for a crackdown on Islamist supporters following Mursi's removal from power.
At least 1,400 people have been killed in the crackdown, while more than 15,000 have been jailed and hundreds sentenced to death.
In the video, the group promises further attacks against the security forces and said it was speaking directly to President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, the former army chief who toppled Mursi and unleashed a crackdown on Islamists.
Earlier this week, Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis pledged its allegiance to the ISIS in a bid to boost recruitment and bolster its fight against the Egyptian army, according to analysts.
Egypt sentences to death 7 suspected members of Ansar Bayt al-MaqdisThe ruling was the first death sentence handed down against members of the Sinai-based faction Middle East
Egypt says it killed senior member of Ansar Bayt al-MaqdisEgypt says Shehata Farhan was implicated in operations targeting security forces and was killed during a raid in Rafah Middle East
New reports highlight ISIS threat to EgyptAn Egypt daily said ISIS cells were reported in Sinai while Reuters said Ansar Bayt al-Maqdis was receiving instructions from the former group News
Video shows beheading of four Egyptians in SinaiAnsar Bayt al-Maqdis accuse the four of providing Israel with intelligence for an airstrike that killed three of its fighters Middle East