Monitor: over 76,000 killed in Syria in 2014
The death toll in 2014 included more than 33,000 civilians
More than 76,000 people were killed in the Syrian civil war in 2014, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Thursday.
The Britain-based monitoring group said 33,278 civilians were among those killed last year in the conflict, which started with protests in 2011 and has spiraled into a civil war.
The United Nations in August estimated the total number of people killed since the start of the conflict at 191,000 but activists say the actual figure is likely much higher.
- Monitor: over 76,000 killed in Syria in 2014
- ISIS in Syria beheads man for 'blasphemy'
- Syria death toll now exceeds 200,000: monitor
- ISIS stones 2 ‘gay men’ to death in Syria: observer
- Shocking: ISIS stones Syria woman to death as her father watches
- Hezbollah loses 10 fighters in al-Nusra Front clashes
- Human error seen in measles vaccination deaths in Syria: WHO
- James Foley’s death pushes Syria into the shadows
- British hostage’s family sends message to ISIS