Two Saudi border guards killed by fire from Yemen: Ministry
The attack led to a fire exchange which was later contained as forces kept the situation under control
Two members of Saudi Arabia’s coastal guard were killed on Friday while on patrol in the Asiri region after coming under heavy fire from the Yemeni side of the border, a spokesperson for the Saudi interior ministry said.
Lance Corporal Mohamed bin Mahmoud bin Mohammed Al Harbi and Private Abdulrahman bin Morai bin Mohamed Al Qahtani were killed around 4 pm, the Saudi Press Agency reported citing the spokesperson.
The attack led to a fire exchange which was later contained as forces kept the situation under control, the SPA added.
Earlier on Friday, spokesman for the Saudi-led anti-Houthi military campaign Brig. Gen. Ahmed Asiri said that for now, Saudi ground forces will continue to guard the border with Yemen and will not be deployed into the embattled country until there is a need to do so.
- Saudis airdrop arms to Aden defenders, Houthis pull back
- Turkey offers support to Saudi-led operation in Yemen
- Yemeni govt stronghold of Aden ‘stable’
- U.S. ready to provide aerial refueling to Saudi Arabia: officials
- Saudi ambassador to U.S.: no ‘formal’ Saudi ground troops in Aden
- No orders to evacuate villagers along Saudi southern border