Russia will soon announce the resumption of charter flights to Egypt, the Interfax news agency reported on Tuesday, citing a foreign ministry official.
Flights to popular Egyptian resorts were suspended after a Russian passenger plane crashed in Sinai in October 2015, killing 224 people.
“Everything is going according to plan. It (the resumption of flights) will be announced in the near future,” Interfax quoted Deputy Foreign Minister Mikhail Bogdanov as saying.
The head of Egypt’s civil aviation authority told Reuters in February that direct flights from Russia to the Egyptian Red Sea resorts of Sharm el-Sheikh and Hurghada would resume in March after being suspended for more than five years.
An Airbus A321, operated by Metrojet, had been returning Russian holiday makers from Sharm el-Sheikh to St Petersburg in October 2015, when it broke up over the Sinai Peninsula, killing all on board. A group affiliated with Islamic State militants claimed responsibility.
A source told Interfax that the flights could resume in the second half of May.