A total of 257 people were killed, most of them military, the defense ministry said. Ten crew and other people described as family members also died, and a number of survivors were being treated at an army hospital, the ministry added.
Records of military plane crashes in the country over the span of nearly two decades show that Wednesday’s crash is the deadliest of them all.
Military plane crashes in Algeria during the last two decades:
- On May, 22, 2017, three Algerian naval officers were killed when their helicopter crashed after striking power lines during a night patrol south-west of Algiers
- On March 27, 2016, a troop carrier Mi-171 type helicopter belonging to the Algerian air forces which was on a mission near Reggane crashed due to technical problems south of the country killing 12 soldiers and leaving two others injured
- On April 20, 2015, An Algerian Air Force plane crashed south of Algeria killing both pilots moments after takeoff
- On February 11, 2014, 102 people died when a military plane carrying army personnel and family members crashed between Tamanrasset in southern Algeria and the eastern city of Constantine.
- On October 11, 2014, an Algerian Sukhoi military plane crashed in a military zone killing its commander during a training operation inside the country
- On November 11, 2014, an air force MiG-25 'Foxbat' fighter aircraft, which came down near a military range in the Hassi Bahbah Military Region in the central part of Algeria. No casualties were reported at the time as the pilot was alone at the time and he ejected safely out of the plane
- In November 2012, an Algerian cargo plane returning from Paris crashed in southeastern France, killing all six people on board
- In December 2012, two military jets conducting routine training operations collided in midair in the northwestern Algeria, killing the pilots of both planes
- On January 27, 2010, a MiG 27 military plane crashed into a mountainous area between Mascara and Sidi Bel Abbès provinces resulting in the pilot’s death
VIDEO: Footage shows the first moments of the military plane crash in AlgeriaAlgerian media outlets and reporters have been sharing footage showing the first moments of the military plane crashing a field outside ... North Africa
More than 250 killed in Algerian military plane crashMore than 250 people were killed when a military plane crashed in a field outside Algeria’s capital on Wednesday, state media said, in the ... North Africa
Ukrainian cargo plane crashes in southern AlgeriaThe plane had seven passengers on board Africa
Algeria: armed group was at plane crash siteFrench President Francois Hollande said none of the 116 people on board the plane survived Africa
1800GMT: Press conference on Algeria plane’s crashNews Bulletins