US Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis on Saturday warned North Korea of a “massive military response” to any use of nuclear weapons as tensions remain sky-high ahead of Donald Trump’s visit to South Korea.
Pyongyang in recent months has sparked global alarm by conducting a sixth nuclear test and test-launching missiles capable of reaching the US mainland, while Trump and the North’s young ruler Kim Jong-Un have traded threats of war and personal insults.
Mattis, on a trip to Seoul for annual defense talks, maintained that diplomacy remained a “preferred course of action” but stressed, “our diplomats are most effective when backed by credible military force”.
“Make no mistake -- any attack on the United States or our allies will be defeated,” Mattis said at a joint press conference with his South Korean counterpart Song Young-Moo.
“Any use of nuclear weapons by the North will be met with a massive military response, effective and overwhelming,” Mattis said, adding Washington “does not accept a nuclear North Korea.”
Mattis did not specify the type of nuclear weapon use that would prompt a military response. Pyongyang’s Foreign Minister Ri Yong-Ho said on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly last month that his country could test a nuclear bomb over the Pacific.
Mattis also urged Pyongyang to “harbour no illusion”, saying the isolated state is militarily “overmatched” by the US and South Korea -- a key ally of Washington that hosts 28,500 US troops.
Mattis’ trip comes ahead of Trump’s first presidential visit to South Korea next month as part of his Asia tour which also includes Japan, China, Vietnam and the Philippines.
All eyes will be on Trump’s message to the North and Kim. Trump is expected to deliver a speech at the South’s parliament and to visit an US military base during a November 7-8 trip to Seoul.
Trump’s recent remark that “only one thing will work” with the North fueled concerns of a potential conflict on the divided peninsula where the 1950-53 Korean War had left millions dead.
But Mattis has repeatedly stressed a diplomatic solution to ease tension during his trip to Asia this week, saying Washington was “not rushing to war” and its goal was “not war.”
Even some Trump advisers say US military options are limited when Pyongyang could launch an artillery barrage on the South’s capital Seoul -- only about 50 kilometers from the border and home to 10 million people.
The North is estimated to have some 10,000 artillery pieces and at least 50 short-range missiles stationed along its heavily fortified border with the South.
The country has made significant progress in its atomic and missile technology under Kim, who took power after the death of his father and longtime ruler, Kim Jong-Il, in 2011.
Since then he has overseen four of the country’s six nuclear tests and hailed its nuclear weapons as a “treasured sword” to protect itself from potential invasion by the “imperialist enemy” the US.
Saudi Crown Prince telephones US Defense Secretary James MattisSaudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdul Aziz, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defense, made a telephone call to ... Gulf
US Defense Secretary James Mattis: Iran continues to sponsor terrorismIran is continuing to behave as an exporter of terrorism and still sponsors militant activity, U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis said in London on ... Middle East
James ‘Mad Dog’ Mattis sworn in as Trump’s defense secretaryThe Senate voted 98-1 to confirm James Mattis to lead the Pentagon World News
Why North Korea’s antics remind us of QatarKim Jong-un has been carrying out a series of provocative military operations similar to the ones that form the fourth stage of one of the destructive ... Middle East
Nuclear deal allows Iran to become the next ‘North Korea,’ US envoy warnsWashington’s ambassador to the United Nations warned Tuesday that, if left unchanged, the Iran nuclear deal could allow Tehran to pose the same ... Middle East