Boat with 86 migrants on board sank in the Mediterranean, 82 reported missing
The UN migration agency says a boat carrying 86 migrants from Libya sank in the Mediterranean overnight, and just three people on board survived, with 82 missing, off the coast of the Tunisian city of Zarzis.
Tunisian fishermen came across the sinking boat and were able to pull out four men, but could not find any of the other passengers on the boat, said Lorena Lando, head of the International Organization for Migration in Tunisia. One of the four, a man from Ivory Coast, died overnight and the other three remained hospitalized.
Earlier this week, another boat from Libya made it to the Tunisian port of Sfax with 65 people on board.
UN Security Council fails to condemn attack on Libya migrant centerThe divided UN Security Council on Wednesday failed to condemn an attack on a detention center for migrants in Libya after the United States did not ... North Africa
53 dead in air strike on detention center for migrants in LibyaAn airstrike hit a detention center for migrants early Wednesday in the Libyan capital, killing at least 53 people, a health official in the ... North Africa
UN envoy to Libya: Air strike on migrant center amounts to a war crimeAt least 44 people were killed and more than 130 wounded in an air strike on a migrant detention center in the Libyan capital Tripoli, the UN mission ... North Africa