Coronavirus: Bahrain announces 241 confirmed cases came from Iran

Bahraini policemen seal off a building housing foreign workers in the Salmabad industrial area as a precautionary measure after a resident tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), on the outskirts of the capital Manama on March 13, 2020. (AFP)

Bahrain announced 241 of the confirmed coronavirus cases in the Kingdom came from Iran, according to the health ministry.

Read the latest updates in our dedicated coronavirus section.

Last month, Bahrain accused Iran of “biological aggression” by covering up the spread of the coronavirus and failing to stamp the passports of Bahraini travelers, Reuters reported.

Bahrain Ministry of Health evacuated 165 citizens from coronavirus-hit Iran last month, bringing them back to Bahrain on a chartered plane. Of the 165 people, 77 tested positive upon their arrival.

Another 112 cases in Bahrain are also associated with travel. The health ministry said 57 arrived from the United Kingdom, 12 from Egypt, eight from Germany, eight from Iraq and 27 from other various nations.


The island Kingdom has so far confirmed 569 total cases and recorded four deaths.

Bahrain uses Hydroychloroquine to treat coronavirus

Bahrain was one of the first countries in the world to use Hydroxychloroquine to treat active coronavirus cases, the Chairman of the Supreme Council of Health, Head of the National Taskforce for Combating the coronavirus, Sheikh Mohamed bin Abdullah Al Khalifa said.

Hydroxychloroquine “is reported to have had a profound impact when used to treat the symptoms exhibited by active COVID-19 cases,” state news agency BNA reported.

Read more:

Bahrain among first countries to use Hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus

Bahrain confirms flight scheduled for return of its citizens in Qatar

Bahrain accuses Iran of ‘biological aggression,’ over coronavirus spread

SHOW MORE
Last Update: Thursday, 02 April 2020 KSA 16:19 - GMT 13:19
Top