Israel says it uncovered sixth and last Hezbollah tunnel from Lebanon

Israel’s army said Sunday it has uncovered another Hezbollah “attack tunnel” leading from Lebanon. (File photo: AFP)

Israel’s military says its troops have found the sixth and the last tunnel dug by Hezbollah militants for cross-border attacks and that its operation at the Lebanese border is now over.

Military spokesman Jonathan Conricus says the final tunnel is the largest one discovered so far, running hundreds of meters (yards) from under a Lebanese home and deep into Israeli territory.

Israel launched the “Operation Northern Shield” last month to detect and destroy what it called a vast network of Hezbollah tunnels aimed for militants to sneak across the border and carry out attacks.

Israel and the United Nations say the tunnels violate a cease-fire resolution that ended a devastating war between Israel and Hezbollah in 2006. Conricus says the UN peacekeeping mission, known as UNIFIL, has been updated.

Israel fought a devastating war against Hezbollah in 2006 that was halted by a UN-brokered truce.

Hezbollah is the only group in Lebanon not to have disarmed after the country’s 1975-1990 civil war.

SHOW MORE
Last Update: 07:10 KSA 10:10 - GMT 07:10
Top