In recent weeks, the legal status of the Golan Heights – Syrian territory annexed by Israel in 1981 but recognized as occupied by the world community – has come under renewed focus. Republicans in both chambers of Congress have introduced bills endorsing Israeli control. A State Department human rights report this month referred to the Golan as “occupied” rather than “controlled” for the first time. One Republican senator, Lindsay Graham, even visited the Golan in what looked like an endorsement of Israel’s annexation. Many supporters of these moves paint them as a blow to the Assad regime and Iran.
Recognizing Golan Heights as Israeli is a gift for Assad, Iran
Disclaimer: Views expressed by writers in this section are their own and do not reflect Al Arabiya English's point-of-view.
- 6985 Views Beirut explosion: Six sources explain details, shine light on Hezbollah link
- 1245 Views EXCLUSIVE: Lebanon leaning toward accepting French offer to rebuild Port of Beirut
- 1209 Views An Israeli-Saudi ‘Silicon Wadi’ will benefit both countries
- 1178 Views Hezbollah was taking Beirut ammonium nitrate to produce weapons: Source
- 721 Views US sends team to Qatar to investigate reports on Hezbollah funding: Sources
- 631 Views France’s Macron tells Iran external interference in Lebanon should cease
- 49699 Views Dubai to enforce flexible working hours starting from August 16
- 37563 Views Watch: Beirut explosion sweeps away bride and groom posing for wedding pictures
- 20914 Views Beirut blast is the most tragic: 6 explosions, fires around the world within 72 hours
- 19484 Views Colonel who died suspiciously had asked for removing ammonium nitrate: Lebanese media
- 19025 Views Lebanese banker buys Jennifer Lawrence's $9.9 mln NYC apartment
- 18213 Views Indonesia volcano Mount Sinabung erupts with tower of smoke and ash