A Russian court on Monday jailed a woman for four years after she sold her newborn son for 166 euros ($205) to buy a plane ticket, court sources said.
The 28-year-old woman, originally from Uzbekistan, arranged with an Uzbek couple to buy the infant before it was born in October 2016, investigators said.
The transaction was completed in October, and the woman bought the ticket to a central Asian destination soon afterward, according to a spokesman of the court in St Petersburg.
The buyers were both sentenced to three years in prison.
- VIDEO: Nurses fired after inappropriately handling newborn babies
- WATCH: Surprising moment ‘newborn baby walks seconds after birth’
- Rock-a-bye baby: How to ease your newborn into a sleep routine
- More than half of newborns not breastfed in first hour raising health risks
- ‘My baby needs oxygen:’ Mother fears newborn’s death in Yemen’s Taez