US military shoots down drone from Yemen headed for its warship: Pentagon

“The drone was destroyed and there were no US casualties,” an official tells Al Arabiya English

Published: Updated:
Read Mode
100% Font Size
2 min read

The US military shot down a drone from Yemen on Wednesday, which it says was approaching an American warship, but did not attribute the attack to any side.

The USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) engaged a drone that originated from Yemen and was heading in the direction of the ship, a Pentagon official told Al Arabiya English.

For all the latest headlines follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

“The drone was destroyed and there were no US casualties,” the official added.

No additional details were provided.

This is the second time the US has publicly claimed responsibility for downing projectiles or drones originating from Yemen.

Last month, the US military destroyed several missiles and drones that it says were launched by the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen, heading north and potentially targeting Israel.

The Pentagon said the USS Carney destroyer was in the northern Red Sea at the time when it made the decision to foil the Houthi attacks.

Meanwhile, US forces in the Middle East are coming under increased attacks by Iran-backed militias in Iraq and Syria.

On Tuesday, the Pentagon said that US forces had been attack 55 times since Oct. 17 in both Iraq and Syria.

At least 59 troops were injured, but all have returned to duty.

Read more:

Israel’s ‘Arrow’ defense system intercepts missile near Red Sea

Drones, explosive device target US forces across Iraq

US drone shot down off Yemen coast, Houthis claim responsibility

Top Content Trending