Egypt air force, Navy join Decisive Storm: presidency
Egyptian officials have said four warships entered Suez en route to Gulf of Aden
Egypt’s air force and navy are participating in the Saudi-led “Operation Decisive Storm” against the Shiite Houthi rebels in Yemen, said the Egyptian presidency on Thursday.
"It was necessary for Egypt to assume its responsibility... through the participation of elements of the Egyptian armed forces from the air force and Navy," the presidency said in a statement.
It said the action came in response to "demands by the Yemeni nation for the return of stability and to preserve its Arab identity," in an apparent reference to Iran's backing for the Houthis.
The government had previously said it would be prepared to commit ground troops as well if required.
Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukri expressed his country’s commitment toward supporting Yemen’s legitimate institutions and keeping the country’s unity at an Arab League meeting in Sharm al-Sheikh earlier today.
Egyptian officials have said four warships entered Suez en route to Gulf of Aden to give further support to Operation “Decisive Storm,” which was ordered early Thursday in response to President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi’s request in face of Houthis advancing toward the southern city of Aden, where is he currently based.
The officials added that the ships will take part in operations “to secure” the strategic waters that control southern access to the Suez Canal.
- Yemen’s Hadi arrives in Riyadh on way to Egypt
- Egypt FM: Cairo to send ground forces to Yemen if needed
- Egypt, Pakistan join military campaign against Houthis
- Saudi Arabia beefs up security on borders, key facilities
- Iran, Assad regime condemn Operation ‘Decisive Storm’ in Yemen
- Gulf stocks regain ground after early losses over Yemen
- World powers react to ‘Decisive Storm’ in Yemen
- Your guide to ‘Operation Decisive Storm’
- Reports: top Houthi military commanders killed in Saudi airstrikes
- Saudi ‘Decisive Storm’ waged to save Yemen