Saudi FM calls for political solution to Yemen crisis
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir and his Italian counterpart Paolo Gentiloni held talks in Rome
Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said on Friday that the only way to solve the Yemeni crisis should be through political means.
Speaking in a joint press conference with his Italian counterpart Paolo Gentiloni in Rome, Jubeir said: "We still believe that the only way is a political solution, built on the foundations of the national dialogue and the Gulf initiative and Security Council resolution 2216."
Saudi Arabia has been leading an Arab air campaign against Houthi militias in Yemen since March this year. The operation is aimed at restoring security to the country and supporting legitimate President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi, who is now living in exile in Riyadh.
Jubeir added: "The Houthis are a part of the Yemeni people, and they have a role to play in the future of Yemen, but this should not include the formation of militia groups outside the government's framework.
"We are ready to support the political process in Yemen, and to work with our allies in the Gulf Cooperation Council and our friends around the world, to implement a settlement which helps Yemen to overcome economic problems in the future."
- Saudi FM: Deal welcomed as it bars Iran from going nuclear
- Saudi says ready to confront any Iran ‘mischief’
- Iranian shooting a clear violation of international law: Saudi FM
- Saudi foreign minister launches official Twitter account
- Saudi FM: Yemen ceasefire starts on May 12
- Adel Al Jubeir sworn in as new Saudi foreign minister