.
.
.
.

Lebanese judiciary refuses to dismiss Beirut port blast judge: Judges association

Published: Updated:

The Lebanese Judges Association again rejected on Friday calls to dismiss the judge heading a probe into last year’s massive blast in Beirut and defended the judiciary as the “last bastion of the idea of the state”, state news agency NNA reported.

For the latest headlines, follow our Google News channel online or via the app.

The association called for the perpetrators of Thursday’s shootings in Beirut, in which six Shias were killed, to be quickly identified and punished, NNA added.

The violence, which erupted at a boundary between Christian and Shia Muslim neighborhoods, has added to concerns for the stability of a country that is awash with weapons and grappling with one of the world’s sharpest ever economic meltdowns.

The heavily-armed Hezbollah has accused the Lebanese Forces, a Christian party that had a powerful militia in the 1975-1990 civil war, of opening fire. The LF denies this, condemning the violence which it blamed on Hezbollah “incitement” against Bitar.

The army initially said rounds were fired at protesters as they passed through the Teyouneh traffic circle dividing Christian and Shiite Muslim neighborhoods. It later said there had been an “altercation and exchange of fire” as protesters were on their way to the demonstration.

Guns were fired in the air during separate funerals for two of the dead, one in Beirut and the other in a Shia village in the Bekaa Valley where coffins draped in the green flag of the Shia Amal Movement were carried through the street.

Lebanon’s most powerful group, Hezbollah, has led calls for Bitar to be removed from the probe into the blast, which was caused by a huge quantity of unsafely stored chemicals and felt in Cyprus some 260 kilometer (155 miles) away.

The Iran-backed group accuses him of leading a politicized probe that has picked on certain people, a reference to Hezbollah allies whom Bitar has sought to question on suspicion of negligence that led to more than 200 deaths.

In a Reuters interview, the Sunni Prime Minister Najib Mikati suggested concern over Bitar, saying “a constitutional error” may have been committed, echoing a view that he had exceeded his authority in pursuing top officials.

Many Lebanese including families of the victims are furious, fearing ruling politicians will whitewash the inquiry into one of most powerful non-nuclear explosions ever recorded.

“Lebanon’s ruling establishment will use yesterday’s instability to frame the investigation as doing more harm than good,” said Lina Khatib, director of the Middle East and North Africa program at Chatham House.

“The impunity enjoyed by the ruling class will push the port investigation to face the same fate as previous attempts to hold those in power accountable for gross transgressions: an indefinite delay with little hope for meaningful results.”

The Lebanese Judges Association rejected calls to dismiss Bitar and defended the judiciary as the “last bastion of the idea of the state”.

The crisis over the probe has paralyzed government as it seeks to dig the country out of the financial meltdown. It also risks complicating ties with Western governments from which Beirut hopes to secure aid.

The US and France want a transparent probe.

Read more:

Six killed in Beirut following protest clashes involving Hezbollah supporters

Snipers on roofs fired at protesters in Beirut, aimed at their heads: Statement

Lebanese Forces party denies involvement in Beirut violence